Best Online Casinos to Play Keno
150+ Slots and 97.2% Payout
100% up to R1234
400+ Slots and 97.55% Payout
80+ Slots and 95% Payout
100+ Slots and 97% Payout
R5000 FREE Bonus
150+ Slots and 95.55% Payout
150+ Slots and 98% Payout
150+ Slots and 98.2% Payout
The History of Online Keno in South Africa
Although the name Keno has Latin and French origins, the game itself was originally played in China around 200 B.C.E where it was known as Boc Hop Bu and Puck-Apu. The Keno game was invented and used to gather money for the army during times of war. In this version the Keno card was made up of 120 Chinese characters and the bets were marked out on a board using a quill. Later on the game was used as way to raise funds for construction projects such as the Great Wall of China. Gambling is still seen as a popular way to raise funds, not only in China, but throughout the world as well.
The 1800’s and Beyond
The game was introduced to America in the 1800’s when construction began on the Transcontinental Railroad. The Keno game was then altered and the numbers were reduced from 120 to 80 with the Chinese characters being replaced by numbers. The popularity of Keno increased in the 1990’s when it was available online, as many devoted players could now play their favourite game hassle free without having to worry about buying a ticket and running to the nearest Keno booth to cash in their winning ticket.
How to Play Online Keno in 2016
The first step to playing online Keno in South Africa is to choose your numbers from the Keno grid or card. This card is sort of like a lottery ticket with the numbers 1-80, consisting of eight rows with ten numbers in each row. Online casino players are required to pick numbers from the 80, the amount of numbers a player can pick depends on the online casino itself, however, and the common minimum is one with the maximum at 20. Just like South African lotteries you can also choose the quick pick option which chooses the numbers for you.
The Online Keno Paytable
You will notice that as you choose your numbers the payout table will begin to show you how much of money you will make according to the amount of numbers that you guessed correctly. For example, if the payout table reads 5/600, you will get paid 600 times your bet if five of the numbers you chose are correct. You can then choose your betting amount which can be done by clicking the arrows next to the betting amount. Once you are ready to play, you can hit the Play 1, Play 5, or Play 10 button. These buttons are used to determine how many rounds of numbers you would like to play. When the game begins, 20 numbers will be drawn and marked off from your card. If the numbers you chose matches the numbers drawn you will get paid out accordingly.
Online Keno Rules for South African Players
Online Keno has simple rules that are easy to follow. This is one of the many reasons why it such a popular game. Let’s take a look at these rules.
- Even though the Keno card has 80 numbers, you cannot pick them all. Each online casino has a minimum and maximum amount of numbers that can be picked at each game. It is important to check these maximum and minimum amounts so you can make a more informed decision.
- You can only look at the payout table once the game starts.
- You must choose the minimum amount of numbers in order to play the game.
- You must meet the minimum betting amount set by the online casino.
- You cannot go back on your choice once you have selected your numbers and have placed you bet.
Tips and Strategies for Online Keno Players in 2016
- Make sure that the online casino is licensed and regulated by a reputable gambling authority. This ensures that the online casino observes fair gambling practices.
- Look at the payout table before you begin the game as this will give you the best indication of how much you need to bet to win your desired amount.
- Practice playing online Keno in free mode before you play for real money. This will give you a better idea of how the game works and allow you to get comfortable with the format.
- It’s easy to get a little carried away when playing online Keno, which is why it is a good idea to set a bankroll so you do not go over you set budget.
- Do a bit of research and find online casinos that offer special bonuses for online Keno players.
- Understand that online Keno is ultimately a game of luck and you should not take losing to heart.
- Always check the odds of the game so you know what your chances of winning are.
Online Keno is loved by many South African players as it is one of the few online casino games that allow players to gamble free from the worry of strategizing, with the thrill of a possible big win. It is also a great alternative or addition to playing the traditional lottery.
2016 Glossary of online Keno terms
Refers to the total amount of money the online casino will payout to the player in a one round. Players may receive reduced payouts, if the aggregate limit is reached.
Refers to the person that reads out the called numbers in land-based casinos.
Refers to the moment in the game when no more bets are taken.
The panel that displays the called numbers during the online Keno game.
Refers to the device used to mix and rotate the balls, before they are drawn, during a land-based Keno game.
The term used to describe a match between a number that is drawn, and the number on your Keno card.
Refers to the percentage of winnings the casino takes during the online Keno game. In most online casinos, the house edge is 30%.
The amount of money in the player’s account that is used for the online Keno game.
Is the opposite of closed, and refers to the point in the game when the casino is open to accepting more bets.
The table that lists how much each win is worth.
Random Number Generator
The system that is used to draw the online Keno numbers. The Random Number Generator takes the place of the caller in online keno.
Refers to an online Keno ticket with two or more bets.
The person at a land-based casino that interacts with the Keno players at a land-based casino.