Online Lotto has not only brought hope to many South Africans but change too. The National Lottery contributes to funding NGOs across the country. So Mzansi Lotto players give to more than just a ticket. But as great as it is to be part of this spirit of goodwill, the main point of playing is for the chance to win big.
Many South Africans have seen their lives change for the better after playing Online Lotto. Although many people are of the opinion that the Lottery is just one big old gamble, a lot of players win big every week.
What is Online Lotto?
Online Lotto is an internet version of the popular Lotto games that has taken South Africa by storm. It is not a different entity – but a big part of the game that has made playing the game so much more convenient for players. Also referred to as “Online Lottery,” the aim is for South African players to guess the sequence of numbers that will be picked randomly at the specific draw they entered into.
Online Lotto games which are available in South Africa include Lotto, Lotto Plus, Powerball, Powerball Plus and Sportstake 13.
How to Play Online Lotto & Lotto Plus
In addition to no trips to a Lottery retailer and no waiting in long queues, playing Online Lotto in South Africa is easy and convenient.
Here is how you can get yourself one step closer to that jackpot.
- Click on the “Play” button and select the “Lotto” game option.
- Once the number board pops up, select your six lucky numbers from 1 to 49. You can play up to eight lines per ticket.
- With the Quick Pick as well as the Balls selection options, you can choose whether you would like to enter into the Lotto Plus draw as well.
- Once you are happy with your numbers, click on the “Submit” button. You will now get the option to enter in up to ten draws.
- Next, you will be directed to a summary page with your Ball Selection, cell number, whether you played Lotto only or Lotto Plus too, the Bet Duration as well as the Bet Cost.
- All that is left to do now is hit submit, and the Bet Cost will be deducted from your online wallet for a valid entry into the draw.
Important Points to Remember When Playing Lotto Online
- Only registered people can play Online Lotto in South Africa. To register, visit the National Lottery’s Official website.
- If you don’t feel like choosing your own numbers, select the Quick Pick option – you can select up to eight lines with Quick Pick per ticket.
How to Play Online Powerball & Powerball Plus
The Powerball game is also easy to play, but a tougher cookie to crack because of the “Powerball.”
Here is a guide for South African players who want to try crack that cookie:
- Click on the “Play” button and select the “Powerball” game option.
- Select five numbers in the range of 1 up to 45 on the “Select Balls” section.
- Choose your lucky Powerball number in the range of 1 up to 20 on the “Powerball” section.
- If you would like to enter into the Powerball Plus draw as well, click on the “Powerball Plus” tick box.
- Once you are happy with your selections of numbers, click on “Submit” to select the number of draws you want to enter into.
- Like playing Lotto, the player will get a summary of the entry details, and all the player will need to do is confirm the purchase by clicking on the “Submit” button.
Important Points to Remember When Playing Powerball Online
- Only registered people can play Online Powerball in South Africa. To register, visit the National Lottery’s Official website.
- Players also get the option of Quick Pick and have up to eight lines to play per ticket.
How to Play Online Sportstake 13
This is a great game for avid South African Lottery players who are also soccer fans. On the Score Selection Board, there are 13 upcoming soccer games which the player can make wagers on.
Here is how you can score with Sportstake 13:
- Click on the “Play” button and select the “Sportstake 13” game option.
- Select the outcomes you want to bet on for all thirteen games (Home Win, Draw or Away Win).
- When you are happy with your bets, click on the “Submit” button.
- You will receive a summary of the entry – including, selections per soccer match, your cell number, and the cost.
- To confirm the purchase, all the player needs to do now is hit “Submit” again.
Important Points to Remember When Playing Sportstake 13 Online
- Players in South Africa can bet on more than one outcome per soccer match.
- Because the game is based on upcoming games that will pass, you can only enter your bets for one Bet Duration.
- Players must place at least one bet on each of the provided fixtures.
- Like Quick Pick, the Propick option will make selections for the player. But unlike Quick Pick, Propick not only make random selections but also relies on software which bases some selections on the soccer teams’ history of outcomes in matches.
- Players can make wagers from as little as ZAR2 up to as much as ZAR2000.
- The results are not based on penalty shoot-outs, but only on the 90 minutes of the game and extra time.
Other South African Lottery games are EAZiWIN, Popa Feela, 4 Siya Wina, Fafi Fortune and Morabaraba.
The History of Lottery in South Africa
|2 March 2000||On the first day of ticket sales, eight hundred thousand tickets were sold.|
|11 March 2000||The first draw of the game, then operated by Uthingo, took place.|
|12 March 2000||The first ever Lotto SA jackpot winner came forward to claim.|
|8 April 2000||South Africa’s first Lotto millionaire won close to ZAR14 000 000.|
|November 2003||South Africans witnessed the launch of the Lotto Plus game.|
|April 2007||The Lottery was suspended indefinitely in Mzansi.|
|October 2007||With a new operator, Gidani, South Africans could play the Lottery again.|
|October 2007||In the first three hours of ticket sales, two hundred thousand tickets were sold.|
|June 2015||Ithuba took over from Gidani as the operator of the Lottery in SA.|
Online Lotto FAQs
Whenever players are not feeling up to choosing their own numbers, they can simply click on the “Quick Pick” option to get a randomly generated sequence of numbers. Players can play up to eight lines of Quick Pick on one ticket.
Random Number Generator (RNG)
This is a computer system which selects a sequence of numbers by chance. Numbers generated by an RNG cannot be reasonably predicted.
This is the opposite of a Quick Pick. So, this is the option where players have to choose their numbers.
This is the general term used for the different types of Lottery games. The term also refers to the specific game of Lotto in which players can enter into.
This is a type of Lotto game which is only played in addition to the Lotto game. Mzansi players can only enter the same numbers they played in a Lotto game, so the Lotto Plus cannot be entered without playing the Lottery. Usually, the Lotto Plus jackpots are less than the Lotto jackpots but are still considerable amounts nonetheless.
Another type of Lotto game, the Powerball is a game in which players need to choose five numbers in the range of 1 up to 45 and another number, the “Powerball,” in the range of 1 up to 20 for one entry into the draw. The odds that a player would win a Powerball jackpot are even slimmer because of the isolated “Powerball”. If the player guesses all the numbers and the Powerball correctly but has the Powerball in the five number draw and swaps one of the other correct numbers and guesses it as the Powerball, the player will not get the jackpot. In fact, the player will only get a payout for the four remaining correct numbers, whereas in the lottery the player would have gotten the jackpot for all six correct numbers.
Like the Lotto Plus, this is another chance for players to win. Players have to indicate on their Powerball ticket whether they want to enter those same numbers into the Powerball Plus draw as well. Players cannot enter into the Powerball Plus draw only – it has to be in addition to the Powerball game(s) they have played.
In the Online Lotto and Lotto Plus games this refers to a six-number sequence on a ticket, which can consist of any numbers in the range of 1 to 49. One line is equal to one entry into the draw.
Whereas in the Powerball and Powerball Plus games this refers to a five number sequence in the range of 1 up to 45 as well as a Powerball in the range of 1 up to 20. The sequence of five numbers and the Powerball together are equal to one entry into the draw.
This refers to the number of draws a player enters into with one ticket.
The Bet Cost is the total amount of money a player spends on a single ticket, including Bet Durations which exceeds one draw.
In this game players place wagers by guessing the results of 13 upcoming soccer matches from different leagues.